From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:10:26
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:18:27 -0500 Randy Barlow
4 <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
7 > > Of course, there's no need to grow the
8 > > filesystem, but you won't have more space than before because file
9 > > systems don't usually adapt to partition size.
10 >
11 > I am confused as to what you mean here. It is my experience that
12 > resizing a file system that has been dd'ed to a new, larger partition
13 > will cause it to take up that entire new partition (which is
14 > desirable). Are you saying this is not the case?
15
16 Nope, I was merely saying that resizing is *not* a necessity, except
17 you want to use the (larger) space of the partition. A filesystem
18 doesn't really care for the size of the partition. That's what I wanted
19 to express... just that it doesn't happen automatically, and on the
20 other hand is not necessary in order to use the old data.
21
22 -hwh
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list