From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 04:50:54
1 On 08/01/2016 01:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 12:49 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Monday, August 01, 2016 08:43:49 AM james wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Sure this part is only related to
6 >>> transaction processing as there was much more to the "five 9s" legacy,
7 >>> but imho, that is the heart of what was the precursor to ACID property's
8 >>> now so greatly espoused in SQL codes that Douglas refers to.
9 >>>
10 >>> Do folks concur or disagree at this point?
11 >>
12 >> ACID is about data integrity. The "best 2 out of 3" voting was, in my opinion,
13 >> a work-around for unreliable hardware. It is based on a clever idea, but when
14 >> 2 computers having the same data and logic come up with 2 different answers, I
15 >> wouldn't trust either of them.
16 >
17 > I agree, this was a solution for hardware issues. However, hardware
18 > issues can STILL happen today, so there is an argument for it. There
19 > are really two ways to get to robustness: clever hardware, and clever
20 > software. The old way was to do it in hardware, the newer way is to
21 > do it in software (see Google with their racks of cheap motherboards).
22 > I suspect software will always be the better way, but you can't just
23 > write a check to get better software the way you can with hardware.
24 > Doing it right with software means hiring really good people, which is
25 > something a LOT of companies don't want to do (well, they think
26 > they're doing it, but they're not).
27 >
28 > Basically I believe the concept with the mainframe was that you could
29 > probably open the thing up, break one random board with a hammer, and
30 > the application would still keep running just fine. IBM would then
31 > magically show up the next day and replace the board without anybody
32 > doing anything. All the hardware had redundancy, so you can run your
33 > application for a decade or two without fear of a hardware failure.
34
35 Not with todays clusters and cheap hardware. As you pointed out
36 expertise (and common sense) are the quintessential qualities for staff
37 and managers.....
40 > However, you pay a small fortune for all of this.
41
42 Not today, that was then those absorbant prices. Sequoia made so much
43 money, I pretty sure that how they ultimately became a VC firm?
47 > The other trend as
48 > I understand it in mainframes is renting your own hardware to you.
49
50 Yes, find a CPA that spent 10 years or so inside the IRS and you get
51 even more aggressive profitibility vectors. Some accouants move
52 hardware, assest and corporations around and about the world in a shell
53 game and never pay taxes, just recycling assets among billionares. It's
54 pretty sickening, if you really learn the details of what goes on.
55
56 > That is, you buy a box, and you can just pay to turn on extra
57 > CPUs/etc. You can imagine what the margins are like for that to be
58 > practical, but for non-trendy businesses that don't want to offer free
59 > ice cream and pay Silicon Valley wages I guess it is an alternative to
60 > building good software.
61
62 Investment credits, sell/rent hardware to overseas divison, then move
63 them to another country that pays you re-locate and bring a few jobs.
64 Heck, event the US stats play that stupid game with recruiting
65 corporations. Get and IRA career agent drunk some time and pull a few
66 stories out of them.....
67
68 >> You have seen how "democracies" work, right? :)
69 >> The more voters involved, the longer it takes for all the votes to be counted.
70 >> With a small number, it might actually still scale, but when you pass a magic
71 >> number (no clue what this would be), the counting time starts to exceed any
72 >> time you might have gained by adding more voters.
73 >>
74 >> Also, this, to me, seems to counteract the whole reason for using clusters:
75 >> Have different nodes handle a different part of the problem.
76 >
77 > I agree. The old mainframe way of doing things isn't going to make
78 > anything faster. I don't think it will necessarily make things much
79 > slower as long as all the hardware is in the same box. However, if
80 > you want to start doing this at a cluster scale with offsite replicas
81 > I imagine the latencies would kill just about anything. That was one
82 > of the arguments against the Postgres vacuum approach where replicas
83 > could end up having in-use records deleted. The solutions are to
84 > delay the replicas (not great), or synchronize back to the master
85 > (also not great). The MySQL approach apparently lets all the replicas
86 > do their own vacuuming, which does neatly solve that particular
87 > problem (presumably at the cost of more work for the replicas, and of
88 > course they're no longer binary replicas).
89
90 Why Rich, using common sense? What's wrong with you? I thought you were
91 a good corporate lacky? Bob from accounting has already presented to
92 the BOD and got approval. Rich, can you be a team player (silent idiot)
93 just once for the team?
98 >> The way Uber created the cluster is useful when having 1 node handle all the
99 >> updates and multiple nodes providing read-only access while also providing
100 >> failover functionality.
101 >
102 > I agree. I do remember listening to a Postgres talk by one of the
103 > devs and while everybody's holy grail is the magical replica where you
104 > just have a bunch of replicas and you do any operation on any replica
105 > and everything is up to date, in reality that is almost impossible to
106 > achieve with any solution.
107
108 Yep NoSQL is floundering mightily when requirements are stringent and
109 other extreme QA issues are fine-grained, from what I read. Sadly, like
110 yourself, I like to put on my 'common sense' glasses after an
111 architectural solution is presented, and I've seen mountains of bad
112 ideas; like BP running prudhoe bay (N. Americas largest oil field) in
113 the Arctic. Bad, bad idea, if you are an engineer and hang out with
114 those 'tards' a few days. Collected data in the arctic, microwaved it to
115 a mainframe in Anchorage, ran software, and then microwave controls
116 signals back to the field controllers. Beyond stupid.They were an
117 embarrassment to the entire petroleum industry back in the 70s, when I
118 did some automation (RF to RF) to mainframe work in the arctic. LIke
119 wise the solution to all of the drilling disasters, world wide, is each
120 country needs to provide RT date to a monitoring station, in the
121 government and status things like the condition of the safety and backup
122 safety systems (Real Time) so keep mid manager from making gargantuanly
123 stupid decisions. There is more than this amount of stupidity in how
124 many cluster (cloud companies) think large amounts of critical data will
125 be 'outsourced'. Bean counters scare me the most.
126 Sales-lizards are rarely trusted, unless they listen to me and do
127 exactly what I tell them to do.
128
129 It seems that there are many many tards in the cluster (cloud) space
130 lacking of common sense. So that (cluster/cloud) industry is going to
131 implode, just like the "dot-com" bubble of the 90s. Not because there is
132 not lots of valid projects and good ideas, but many tards are managing
133 and they lack the common sense to poor piss out of a boot let alone
134 discern valid solutions for specific industries. Like a 'blind hog'::
135 though they will find an acorn or two. A historical CS class or two on
136 what has been tried what works and does not work and why, along with a
137 few (real) hardware architecture classes) and there would not be so many
138 ridiculous (doomed to fail before getting stared) cluster (cloud)
139 companies out there. Developing unknown but old ideas in java, is still
140 going to fail. Many are the BP of the cloud:: a disaster just waiting to
141 fail.... ymmv. Many folks in the Petroleum industry warned Alaskan
142 government officials that BP was incompetent, back in the 70s.
143 They still are mostly becase the executives would not not how to
144 calculate the weight of drill stem column of fluid and match it up with
145 the expected subsurface pressures to be encountered. It's a simple
146 'material balance equation' you could teach a HS physics class.
147
148 Likewise there is a rich history (graveyard) of distributed processing
149 and that body of knowledge is being ignore, mostly because it is
150 getting in the way of vendor hyperbole......
153 Douglas did manage to pull his own bacon from the fire, in the end of
154 his article, but it wreaks of vendor hyperbole, imho.
157 thanks for the comments,
158 James