From: Jerry Turba <jturba@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for help with Shorewall
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:56:43
1 Ryan Tandy wrote:
2
3 > Jerry wrote:
4 >
5 >> root@backup:/etc/shorewall # shorewall start
6 >
7 > Any particular reason why you're running that instead of
8 > /etc/init.d/shorewall start?
9 >
10 Thats is what the docs suggested as the start command.
11
12 >> Shorewall has detected the following iptables/netfilter capabilities:
13 >> NAT: Not available
14 >> Packet Mangling: Available
15 >> Multi-port Match: Not available
16 >> Connection Tracking Match: Not available
17 >> Packet Type Match: Not available
18 >> Policy Match: Not available
19 >> Physdev Match: Not available
20 >> IP range Match: Not available
21 >> Recent Match: Not available
22 >> Owner Match: Not available
23 >> Ipset Match: Not available
24 >> CONNMARK Target: Not available
25 >> Connmark Match: Not available
26 >> Raw Table: Available
27 >> CLASSIFY Target: Not available
28 >
29 > Hmmm... looks like you're missing a few fairly necessary components.
30 > Might want to add a bit more to your iptables configuration in your
31 > kernel config, or have some fun with modprobe.
32 >
33 I rebuilt the kernel with more iptables modules and shorewall works fine.
36 >> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
37 >> ERROR: Command "/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state
38 >> ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT" Failed
39 >
40 > This is caused by the line "Connection Tracking Match: Not available"
41 > - you need to build in to your kernel or modprobe the conntrack module.
42 >
43 >> Now I cannot connect to the internet through the modem nor ssh to the
44 >> other computer. I was able to do both before running shorewall start.
45 >
46 > shorewall clear or /etc/init.d/shorewall clear
49 >> root@backup:/etc/shorewall # /etc/init.d/iptables stop
50 >> * Saving iptables state
51 >> ... [ ok ]
52 >> * Stopping firewall
53 >> ... [ ok ]
54 >
55 > You don't need to have iptables running for shorewall to work (I know
56 > I don't).
57 >
58 > delta ~ # /etc/init.d/shorewall status
59 > * status: started
60 > delta ~ # /etc/init.d/iptables status
61 > * status: stopped
62 >
63 > HTH.
64 >