From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0 and oldconfig
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 23:28:34
1 On Sunday 24 July 2011 19:13:27 Dale wrote:
2
3 > I'm not sure it is the nic tho. It downloads just fine when emerge is
4 > fetching files. I'm not saying it isn't tho. I really don't know what
5 > it is. I'm also keeping in mind that the nic is built onto my mobo. I
6 > have never had good luck with a built in nic. On my old rig, it never
7 > worked right. That's why it has cards in it too.
8
9 I had a nasty experience with a network device a few months ago. It wasn't a
10 NIC this time but a WAP, which when it went faulty managed to wipe out half
11 of the USB disk to which I was backing up the machine the WAP was connected
12 to. Much repeated backing-up of several boxes was required to re-establish
13 the status quo.
14
15 Just goes to show that hardware failures can do some weird things.
16
17 (Pick the bones out of that, Volker. Preferably without gratuitous
18 offensiveness.)
21 Rgds
22 Peter Linux Counter number 5290