From: Michael Shaw <mshaw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Developmnet Environment for PHP and PERL
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:37:38
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 10:33 -0800, Michael Shaw wrote:
8 >>What editor do people use for PHP and Perl development. I'm looking for
9 >>something with syntax highlighting and such, so that rules ut vi or gedit.
10 >>
11 >>Thanks,
12 >>Mike
16 >I used the php-mode for emacs when I co-wrote the Zend Certification
17 >Study Guide. Unlike vim, emacs actually parses and understands the code
18 >it's editing; this makes the syntax highlighting and indentation support
19 >much more flexible and accurate. I'd go as far as saying that the
20 >auto-indentation support for php-mode for emacs is by far the best I've
21 >worked with to date.
22 >
23 >Today, I use the phpEclipse plugin for Eclipse 3.0. I'm very happy with
24 >this. Performance is very good, the object browser works better than
25 >php-mode for Emacs did, and it's very useful indeed to be able to search
26 >all the files of a project from within the editor. There's also the
27 >advantage of being able to use other Eclipse plugins, such as support
28 >for subversion. phpEclipse is my main environment, which I use a good
29 >8-10 hours in a working day.
30 >
31 >I tried Zend Studio about 18 months ago, but didn't like it. I found
32 >the performance was too slow (hate using software that can't keep up
33 >with my typing!), auto-indenting was inflexible (and I couldn't convince
34 >Zeev why that mattered :(, there was no subversion support, and no
35 >anti-aliased font support (tiring on the eyes when your main machine is
36 >a laptop). I haven't tried Zend Studio 4, and have no idea whether it
37 >has improved in any of these areas or not.
38 >
39 >Can't comment on a good environment for perl. Last time I used perl
40 >seriously was in '96. Things have changed a lot since then.
41 >
42 >Hope that helps,
43 >Stu
46 I'll try phpEclipse. I'll peruse the wiki to see if I can get it set up.
47
48 Thanks.
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list