From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:25:12
1 On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>>> What do you guys think of this? Do you know of a good cruft removal script?
3 >>>>>
4 >>>> Yep, there's quite good one in gentoo itself.
5 >>>>
6 >>>> Basically, you'll need to write a short config for it, consisting of
7 >>>> lines like "cruft name", "cruft src uri" and a few more lines if you'll
8 >>>> need to pass some extra parameters to configure/make/install.
9 >>>> It'll build the package in a sandbox, then transfer it to destination,
10 >>>> memorizing every change it did and preventing collisions and config
11 >>>> overwrites.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Just put that config script into an ebuild file and use portage to
14 >>>> build it - as simple as it gets ;)
15 >>>>
16 >>>
17 >>> I suppose you and Jesus are right, but what about cruft removal? Are
18 >>> you saying Gentoo is 100% cruft-free? I've got a lot of junk in /etc
19 >>> and especially ~/.*
20 >>>
21 >>> - Grant
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>
26 > [snip]
27 >> You have to clean out /etc and home directories yourself.
28 >
29 > Exactly. Nothing to help me along? I'll check out qfile, but I'm
30 > surprised there isn't a good script for this.
31 >
32 > I'm the only one interested in a filesystem audit?
33 >
34 > - Grant
37 >> Portage does do a good job of removing all the other files tho. If it
38 >> puts it there, it will remove it if you unmerge a package.
39 >>
40 >> Dale
41
42 I think if you enable auditing in the kernel and emerge
43 sys-process/audit you can see the access history of any file on your
44 system. (doesn't help after the fact, but going forward...) At least
45 then you could see which user/program did things to which files. I
46 think even if a file is missing that you think should have been there
47 you can do an audit search and see who deleted it. I've never tried it
48 myself but that's how I understand it. I could be wrong.
49
50 And it's not what you asked for, but for cleaning cruft out of
51 distfiles i use eclean from app-portage/gentoolkit... works great.
52 Whenever I'm running low on space I run it and it zaps a few gigs of
53 unneeded stuff without deleting the distfiles of active packages.
54
55 Paul