From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm in a Pickle
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:53:31
1 On 12/25/2011 01:08 PM, CJoeB wrote:
2 > Happy Holidays, Everyone,
3 >
4 > To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
5 > issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
6 > Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
7 > monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
8 > screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
9 > the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
10 > button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
11
12 I had similar and similarly-weird problems caused by a faulty video
13 card. After removing it, I could see that the capacitors were
14 domed/cracked and the card obviously got fried somehow... it still
15 worked most of the time, but was unstable (especially coming out of
16 power-saving it would exhibit problems or freeze the system). I could
17 usually still SSH in from another machine and do a proper shutdown, but
18 not always.
21 > Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
22 > KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
23 > anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
24 > booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
25 > the mouse work.
26
27 Maybe part of the world update was x11 stuff and the @x11-module-rebuild
28 set didn't get emerged yet.