From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: encrypted email (gentoo-windows)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:05:44
1 Sebastian Beßler <sebastian <at> darkmetatron.de> writes:
4 > Mail encryption is, as far as I know, something that works on the
5 > client-side only. The mail server doesn't see the encryption, encrypted
6 > mails contain only text, just like every other mail.
9 OK let's ignore the mail server portion. Your basically implying
10 that encrypted mail handling from the server, does not matter if
11 it's an exchange server, or *nix, like postfix....
12
13 As an example.
14 Look at the situation where a person is using only MS technology
15 and has no access to support(input) on their client software nor the
16 MS exchange server (big corp for example that assumes the world
17 only uses MS software). Maybe they can make a few setting changes
18 only in Outlook to get encryption working between a MS (Outlook)
19 system and my Gentoo system using pgp and thunderbird?
22 > If may answer has nothing to do with your problem, please give me more
23 > information what you have in mind.
24
25 I do not have a problem. I have assumed that encrypted mail between
26 a given client software on a gentoo system, will not work with windows.
27 Is this assumption incorrect?
28
29 Or it's just install whatever I want (mail client on gentoo) and it will
30 auto-magically exchange encrypted mail with outlook on a windows machine,
31 behind a MS Exchange server, regardless of what the MS admins
32 do on their side?
33
34 I assumed that is not that easy (my default experience with MS),
35 and things have to be coordinated, like most MS issues, to be
36 able to exchange encrypted mail between a gentoo and MS workstation....
37
38 Nothing to it, or massive issues on the MS side? Obviously,
39 making changes on the gentoo workstation client, is easy....
40 What I would really like is to be able to exchange encrypted mail
41 with any MS user. That, I'm sure with entail pointing them to
42 documents on how to set up the software on the MS (outlook) side.
43 Links for MS help?
44
45 ???
46 A general discussion at this point, not a specific solution.
47 My googling only reveals dated discussions along these lines
48 or information that is not useful.
49
50 James