From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:55:24
1 On 8/21/20 4:10 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 8/21/20 11:01 AM, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
3 >> yes, i do consider re-inventing octagonal wheels.
4 >
5 > I think that it's occasionally a good thing to have a thought experiment
6 > about how $THING might be made better.
7 >
8 > It's probably good to have discussions around green feel types of
9 > replacements.
10 >
11 > But it's important to eventually assess the pros and cons of the old (as
12 > it exists), the new (as from green field), and the transition between
13 > the two.
14 >
15 > Sometimes the new doesn't warrant the transition, but it does provide an
16 > option that might be worth augmenting into the old.
17 >
18 > If nothing else, it's good to have the discussions and be able to answer
19 > why something was done or chosen to remain the same.
20 >
21 >> here, i'm just "asking" to see what makes the "safely stored" guarantee.
22 >
23 > MTAs are supposed to be written such that they commit the message to
24 > persistent storage medium (disk) before returning an OK message to the
25 > sending server.
26 >
27 > There is some nebulous area around what that actually means.� But the
28 > idea is that the receiving server believes, in good faith, that it has
29 > committed the message to persistent storage.� Usually this involves
30 > writing the message to disk, probably via a buffered channel, and then
31 > issued system calls to ask the OS to flush the buffer to disk.
32 >
33 > Is there room for error?� Probably.
34 >
35 > Had the server made (more than) reasonable effort to commit the message
36 > to disk?� Yes.
37 >
38 > The point being, don't acknowledge receipt of the message while the
39 > message is only in the MTA's memory buffer.� Take some steps to commit
40 > it to persistent storage.
41 >
42 > That being said, there are some questionable servers / configurations
43 > that will bypass this safety step in the name of performance.� And they
44 > /do/ /loose/ /email/ as a negative side effect if (when) they do crash.
45 > This is a non-default behavior that has been explicitly chosen by the
46 > administrators to violate the SMTP specification.� Some MTAs will log a
47 > warning that they are configured to violate RFCs.
48 >
49 >> got any specific definition of what makes a storage "guaranteed"? e.g.
50 >> what kind of tests does the mail server do in order to say "yup, i can
51 >> now guarantee this is stored safely!"?
52 >
53 > It's more that they do something safe (write the message to disk)
54 > instead of risky (only store it in memory).
55 >
56 > Everything can fail at some point.� It's a matter of what and how many
57 > reasonable steps did you take to be safe.� Read: Don't cut corners and
58 > do something risky.
59 >
60 >> i guess you think that i meant that a relay should be mandatory?
61 >
62 > Sending / outbound SMTP servers /are/ a relay for any messages not
63 > destined to the local server.
64 >
65 > There is almost always at least two SMTP servers involved in any given
66 > email delivery.� All but the final receiving system is a relay.
67 >
68 >> (yes, a relay doesn't have to be used.� i'm just describing some uses
69 >> of relays that i think make sense.� (1) indicate trust hierarchy, (2)
70 >> offload mail delivery so that i can close my laptop and let the relay
71 >> have fun with the retries.� not sure there is any other use.� anyone?)
72 >
73 > There are many uses for email relays.� A common one, and best practice,
74 > is to have an /inbound/ relay, commonly known as a backup email server.
75 > The idea being it can receive inbound messages while the primary email
76 > server is down (presumably for maintenance).
77 >
78 > Many SaaS Email Service Providers (ESPs) /are/ relay servers.� They
79 > receive email from someone and send it to someone else.
80 >
81 > A number of email hygiene appliances function as an email relay between
82 > the world and your ultimate internal email server.� Services that filter
83 > inbound email qualify here too.
84 >
85 > It is common, and I think it's best practice, to have web applications
86 > send email via localhost, which is usually a relay to a more capable hub
87 > email server which sends outbound email.� Both of these layers are relays.
88 >
89 > A relay is the same thing for email that a router is for a network.
90
91 WOW do I love these discussions, but let me 'cut to the chase'.
92
93 I'm proposing, via a small corp I own, to purchase up to (3) dual
94 Rasp.pi 4 setups of (2) R.Pi.4 8gig ram setups
95 and send them to the devs WE all decide on. Let's us start compiling up
96 the codes, keep it simple (for now) and implement them with gentoo-users
97 as the testers of the email services.
100 These discussions should be continued to everyone's benefit. However
101 there are way more than (3) folks on these threads who are most capable
102 to do this community prototyping. If WE do not act and get hundreds of
103 these deployed, email, as we know it via RFCS and other standards may
104 just disappeaar, or be relegated to the far reaches of the Internet.
105 What I have read, is standards based email services, particularly by
106 small organizations, are under extreme pressure by large corporations to
107 be marginalized out of existence.
108
109 So any of the folks in these treads can announce publically, or send me
110 private email as to your concerns. Public is best, but, I understand the
111 needs for private communications sometimes. So yea, I'll personally
112 finaces, at least 6 months of (3) projects.
113 I'll take all input, but will make my (funding) decision, in a focus,
114 quick strategy.
115
116 James Horton, pe