From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curiosity...
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:35:02
1 On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
6 > into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
7 > and I like to know, for what it is good for:
8 >
9 > These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
10 >
11 <SNIP>
12 >
13 > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
14 > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster... ;)
17 I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio over HDMI..
18
19 > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For what reason
20 > there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy controller and
21 > IDE???
24 The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
25 architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
26 maybe they do.
27
28 IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
29 but more simple.
30
31 > How can I make what use of it?
34 ;-) Well, put a piece of bread in and push the lever down? ;-)
35
36 Have a good weekend.
37
38 Cheers,