From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external SSD problem
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:09:02
1 >>I just got one of these:
2 >>
3 >>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208913
4 >>
5 >>It seems to work fine except that once I eject it in Thunar, I get
6 >>this in dmesg:
7 >>
8 >>sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
9 >>sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
10 >>
11 >>The only way to get the /dev/sdb device back is to 'modprobe -r
12 >>xhci_hcd && modprobe xhci_hcd'. I've tried two different USB3 cables.
13 >> I have an external USB3 hard drive that works fine but /dev/sdb
14 >>doesn't appear after ejecting the SSD unless I modprobe xhci_hcd.
15 >>Should I file a kernel bug?
16 >
17 > Does it come back after unplugging and reconnecting it?
18
19 It does not unless I also issue 'modprobe -r xhci_hcd && modprobe
20 xhci_hcd'. Another USB3 HD I have comes back after ejecting,
21 unplugging, and reconnecting, but not the USB3 SSD.
22
23 - Grant