From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:58:23
1 The 06/09/12, Dale wrote:
2
3 > But this is what you guys are missing too. If you want to use tmpfs,
4 > you have to have enough ram to begin with. Whether you use tmpfs or
5 > not, you have to have enough ram to do the compile otherwise you start
6 > using swap or it just crashes. Having ram is a prerequisite to using
7 > tmpfs.
8
9 This is too minimal overview to get the point. Memory is not a static
10 place. This is not a cake beeing shared once. Memory is living. See my
11 other mail.
12
13 > There is another flaw in your assumption above. I already had the
14 > tarballs downloaded BEFORE even the first emerge.
15
16 This is not a flaw in assumption. This is negligible.
17
18 > What the people wanted to test is if putting portages work directory on
19 > tmpfs would make emerge times faster.
20
21 Come'on. We all understood your goal from the beginning.
22
23 > Do we all admit that having portage on tmpfs does not make emerge times
24 > faster yet?
25
26 No. It depends on factors and underlying processes you claim they don't
27 matter, which is wrong. They *might* be not relevant in some cases.
30 Nicolas Sebrecht