From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : mail problem : solved
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:11:55
1 120919 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 01:18:45 -0400
3 > Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> RTFM : front + centre it says to try 'fetchmail -vvv --nodetach
5 >> --nosyslog'. That immediately told me the very non-obvious but
6 >> crucial information : " ~/.fetchmail must have no more permissions
7 >> than 700". Whyever ?
8 > That's quite normal actually. The file might contain passwords
9 > and you don't want every joker on the system reading them.
10
11 Yes, that is obvious once it's pointed out (grin).
12
13 > It *really* should have printed that warning to the console though.
14
15 Well yes, but it's normally running via a user cron job
16 & error msgs probably get dumped somewhere or even nowhere.
17 The place they should show up is syslog or mail.warn ,
18 but they certainly weren't arriving there.
19
20 The new machine seems to be working properly now,
21 but I've had 5 odd problems along the way, some perhaps bugs :
22 (1) System Rescue has to look for its data file on all the devices,
23 but it hangs up at unformatted drives or swap partitions (bug ?);
24 (2) when you change from an Intel to an AMD CPU,
25 you have to change the <x>HCI settings in the kernel
26 in order to be able to use a USB mouse/keyboard ;
27 (3) Fluxbox rewrites its 'apps' file at every exit,
28 so to force Gkrellm to appear in a particular workspace
29 you have to point to another file in 'init':
30 Fluxbox is an excellent simple desktop manager,
31 but its session management needs redesign & expansion ;
32 (4) the latest Stage3 installs Python 3 as default (in some way),
33 so scripts which worked earlier may need rewriting
34 or you need to make them explicitly use Python 2 ;
35 (5) Fetchmail has an odd, if understandable, requirement for its config file,
36 but doesn't provide adequate warnings when it fails thereby (bug ?).
37
38 I hope my descriptions of problems + solutions help others
39 & thanks again to those who have contributed to the latter.
43 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
44 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
45 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca