From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Codeblocks Fails to Exit Cleanly in Awesome WM
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:21:56
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us> wrote:
2 > Hi all:
3 >
4 > I'm having a problem with Codeblocks not exiting cleanly when using the
5 > Awesome WM. I've filed a bug report[1] but the wrangler closed it almost
6 > immediately without any testing or attempt to confirm, so I'm asking for
7 > your help here.
10 I don't necessarily agree with the closure of the bug report. I
11 suspect such closures happen because the first responder does not know
12 how to troubleshoot the issue. However, the Gentoo developers care a
13 lot more than, say, the Mozilla developers. Every bug report I have
14 sent to Mozilla trackers has been ignored.
15
16 It seems like a tossup: Awesome might be launching Code::Blocks in a
17 way that leaves the process unable to close itself, but seeing as I
18 don't actually know how that would happen, you might have better luck
19 asking the Code::Blocks developers as they will know how to
20 troubleshoot their project. They then might be able to figure out that
21 it is something else's fault.
22
23 > I am using Codeblocks-16.01 (the only unmasked version, which is keyworded
24 > unstable) on both a full-unstable installation and on a mostly-stable
25 > installation, both with only the 'contrib' use flag set. On both installations,
26 > Codeblocks, when started from a menu in the Awesome WM, will not exit
27 > cleanly. Specifically, when exiting in any manner, the GUI will disappear,
28 > but the Codeblocks process continues to run.
29 >
30 > However, when started from a terminal, Codeblocks does not show this behavior,
31 > i.e., it does shut down completely and cleanly.
32 >
33 > Additionally, this behavior does not present when using either the Plasma
34 > desktop or the Fluxbox WM, i.e., Codeblocks will shutdown cleanly whether
35 > started from a menu or from a terminal.
36 >
37 > This is likely not strictly an upstream issue. This is almost certainly a Gentoo
38 > issue, as issue I presented does not appear in Arch, Debian, or Fedora.
39 > All three have the exact same version of Codeblocks as Gentoo; all three have
40 > similar versions of Awesome (all in the 4.x branch) and Arch is using the
41 > exact same version of Awesome (4.2) that I am using on both Gentoo
42 > installations noted above.
43 >
44 > Any help or other insights in debugging this issue are appreciated.
47 When I encounter issues like this I try to find the newest version of
48 the project. In this case, it looks like 16.01 is the latest release
49 of Code::Blocks. You might try building from their repository. It will
50 take time to become acquainted with the different build systems
51 (automake, CMake, ...) but you can generally specify a custom
52 installation directory -- ~/.local is a good place. Add the binary
53 paths inside of that directory to your PATH.
54
55 You can also run a command to kill Code::Blocks after you exit, or use
56 another IDE (like Geany). Some example commands:
57
58 ps | awk '/codeblocks/ { print $1; }' | xargs kill
59 kill `pgrep codeblocks`
60 pkill codeblocks
61
62 Be careful that you don't kill processes that contain the name you
63 give but aren't the one you mean. The regex in the first command will
64 be easier to customize. Pkill and pgrep are nonstandard.
65
66 R0b0t1.