From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] horrible gedit dependencies
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:44:34
1 On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 16:23 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I don't have a sound card & have removed all sound software from my
3 > box.
4 > Whyever would Gedit want sound pkgs or a CD burner ??
7 It doesn't. If you look at the ebuild there are no dependencies for
8 this. There may be indirect dependencies (remember gedit is part of the
9 GNOME Desktop) and also remember use flags are very important (e.g. I
10 have the complete GNOME desktop + other GNOME apps running in a vm, but
11 none of them pull in esound).
12
13 > It's probably easier for AH to use Kwrite, if he doesn't like Vim:
14 > even if he has no KDE pkgs installed, it won't ask for 35 deps ...
17 I think you got me confused with the OP. I'm actually very happy with
18 Vim. :-) Also, AFAIK there is no ebuild for Kwrite. Kwrite is part of
19 kdebase which will still likely pull in a bunch of stuff that the OP
20 isn't interested in.
21
22 I think what the OP is looking for is a simple GUI text editor with no
23 DE dependencies. There is a crap load of editors out there (e.g. tea)
24 but as I've no experience with them to recommend them (plus it's hard
25 recommending packages as people's preferences vary greatly). But I hope
26 I've given some clarity as to why gedit has such "horrible"
27 dependencies.
31 Albert W. Hopkins
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list