From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What overwrites resolv.conf
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:24:28
1 On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:46 PM, 罈Q竄 <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Is there a definitive guide to the syntax of the various config files?
6 >
7 > /etc/conf.d/net.example and /etc/conf.d/wireless.example are pretty
8 > well annotated.
12 For a desktop install, the config.example files are great.
13 But for a notebook, creating and maintaining different setups for
14 different networks is troublesome (some of them you'll probably never
15 use again). When travelling or just sitting at a hotel that uses WPA
16 or WEP keys, setting up config files for PSKs or keys is a pain.
17
18 I searched for some solution and found net-misc/networkmanager. Its a
19 cool solution, as it configures any network on-the-fly, without
20 messing with configuration or keeping files all over. I'm a Gnome
21 user, and the applet sitting at the panel is awesome, as it lists all
22 wireless connections, and also deals with wired networks. Its a "must
23 have" in my personal opinion for a mobile device, I use it with my
24 Asus EEE.
25
26 Just sharing some user experience.
29 Daniel da Veiga