From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Filenames with "special" characters (äöü€¶) on SMB share of Linkstation HD-HLAN250
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:28:58
1 Peter Ruskin schrieb:
2
3 > ...but in konqueror the file is correctly displayed as "blöder name"
4
5 Yes. Seems like Konqueror doesn't care about system settings
6 and stores the filenames in non-UTF-8.
7
8 Anyway, I now managed to install NFS on the NAS box. With
9 NFS, I can now easily and successfully create filenames
10 with non-ASCII characters, like "blöder name". But
11 when I access the share from Windows (or rather: via
12 SMB), the filenames are still mangled :(
13
14 What I'm after is a way for Samba to transform filenames
15 from the stored (on disk) UTF-8 name to cp850 (or
16 whatever).
17
18 The NAS box is running Samba 2.2.8a.
19
20 Can Samba 2.2.8a do this? With Samba 3, this would be
21 possible, wouldn't it?
22
23 If Samba 2 could do this, how/what would I configure?
24 I suppose "client code page" and "character set" are
25 the relevant settings? What are the allowed values for
26 "character set"?
27
28 Are the "nftable" files in /usr/share/codepage the allowed
29 values? If so, then Samba 2 (or at least that installation)
30 doesn't handle UTF-8; only iso-8859-x and some cpX values.
31
32 Or would "find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name nls*.o" reveal
33 me the allowed values? If so, "UTF8" would be a good value -
34 but even with "character set = UTF8", I can't get a good
35 translation. "blöder name" translates to "bl├Âder name"
36 on Windows :(
37
38 Can Samba 2 do UTF-8 filename translation?
39
40 Thanks,
41
42 Alexander Skwar