From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 19:10:41
1 Hello,
2
3 On Thu, 18 Jun 2020, Dale wrote:
4 >David Haller wrote:
5 [..]
6 >> Compile with:
7 >> gcc $CFLAGS -o ones ones.c
8 >> or
9 >> gcc $(portageq envvar CFLAGS) -o ones ones.c
10 >>
11 >> and use/test e.g. like
12 >>
13 >> ./ones | dd of=/dev/null bs=8M count=1000 iflag=fullblock
14 [..]
15 >I got it to compile, at least it created a file named ones anyway.  What
16 >I'm unclear about, where is the if= for dd in the command?  All the
17 >commands I've seen before has a if= and a of=.  The if for input and of
18 >for output or target.
19
20 ==== man 1 dd ====
21 if=FILE
22 read from FILE instead of stdin
23 [..]
24 of=FILE
25 write to FILE instead of stdout
26 ====
27
28 note the stuff after 'instead' ;)
29
30 >I'm assuming that if I want to target sdb, I'd
31 >replace null with /dev/sdb.
32
33 Yes.
34
35 >As I've posted before, even my scripting skills are minimal.  Surprised
36 >I got it to compile even.
37
38 Well, you could copy & paste and on gentoo, there is bound to be a
39 'gcc' ;)
40
41 >something.  I placed all this in the /root directory.  I'm assuming I
42 >can copy paste the commands above while in /root to make it work?
43
44 Yes. Or put 'ones' in /root/bin/ or even /usr/local/bin. Depending on
45 if you expect to use the program later on. But if it's just for this
46 once it's fine in /root/ alongside the sourcecode.
47
48 HTH,
49 -dnh
52 BUGS
53 It is not yet possible to change operating system by writ­
54 ing to /proc/sys/kernel/ostype. -- Linux sysctl(2) manpage