From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPS has issues emerging everything
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:07:57
1 On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Simon <turner25@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Ok, was just doing a "fsck.ext3 -c -c -C 1 /dev/xvda" from within a
3 > rescue OS provided by my VPS provider...  and it froze at the middle
4 > of it!!!
5 >
6 > So I guess Gentoo is not responsible after all...  I've opened a
7 > support ticket with them...  I'll let you know how it turns out.
8 >
9 > Simon
12 Good move.
13
14 Last thing that comes to mind for me. Are you on your own hard drive
15 in this system, or just a partition? Anyway, if this was a 4K sector
16 hard drive, like the newer WD green drives, then partitions that
17 aren't set up right can have long times where the system appears to
18 freeze or simple command can fail due to time-outs. I saw 'freezes' of
19 10-15 minutes sometimes on the WD10EARS 1TB drives I bought until
20 others helped me figure that one out.
21
22 Good luck,
23 Mark