From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE Conflageration
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:35:01
1 WFisher <cxiiixc@×××××××××.net> writes:
2
3 > I finished installing Gentoo and Xorg successfully. When I went to
4 > install the KDE desktop I decided to install the whole thing by typing
5 > emerge kde-meta, which installs everything possible. After about six
6 > hours I got frustrated and shut of the computer.
7 >
8 > My question is is can I delete what I already did and start over and
9 > just do a basic KDE install? And if so, what directory can I find
10 > that I can delete KDE from?
11
12 The bad news is it is liable to take over 6 hrs to compile even the
13 kde-base/kdebase stuff.
14
15 I just came thru this same problem. There was an informative thread that
16 you definitely need to read before going ahead. I started the thread
17 but was not much of a contributer in substance. Others however added
18 lots of really good info about how stuff works with gentoo.
19
20 Read clear thru this recent thread:
21 Subject: Is there and Alternative to compiling kde?
22
23 That done, you probably do not need to uninstall much of anything.
24
25 First learn what packages were installed :
26
27 equery list|grep kde
28
29 should give a pretty good picture
30
31 Understnd that a newer version of kde is just about to become stable I
32 think and so an upgrade is soon in the offing.
33
34 I think it would make some sense to set a keywords line in
35 /etc/portage/package.keywords like this:
36
37 kde-base/kdebase ~x86
38
39 Assuming you are on x86 architecture. It should cause kde-3.5 to be
40 installed now. Don't worry about having packages from 2 versions
41 installed ... gentoo allows what is called `slotted' packages.
42 So they do not interfere with each other.
43
44 You can prune back the older stuff later.
45
46 Once you've read that thread and got some system info on what you have
47 installed.
48
49 try this:
50
51 emerge -v -p kde-base/kdebase
52
53 Take a look at the output maybe you can determing if its ok to go
54 ahead and run that without the -p.
55
56 If you need to, post the output here but trim it down to kde stuff.
57 And any warnings or errors.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list