From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB-HD-Quickport not recognized...
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 15:14:21
1 On Saturday, 14 March 2020 14:44:55 GMT tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 03/14 02:38, Michael wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, 14 March 2020 11:15:43 GMT tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > I bought a LogiLink QP0027 QuickPort.
7 > > > This is a external 3.5/2.5" HDD "docking station".
8 > > >
9 > > > It has a power supply, a USB3.1 port, an ON/OFF switch.
10 > > >
11 > > > Normal doing would be:
12 > > > Switch docking station off
13 > > > Connect docking station and PC with USB cable.
14 > > > Connect Power Supply and docking station
15 > > > Plug Power Supply into mains
16 > > > Insert HD
17 > > > Wait for HD to spin up
18 > > > Check /dev for new device.
19 > >
20 > > I don't know how you determined the above sequence of actions to be
21 > > 'normal'. I have a Startech HD - USB 3.0 docking station, probably coming
22 > > out of the same Chinese factory, but I am following a different
23 > > procedure.
24 > >
25 > > 1. Connect the PSU to the docking station.
26 > > 2. Insert the HD.
27 > > 3. Switch on power to the docking station.
28 > > 4. Plug in the USB cable into the PC.
29 > >
30 > > Steps 1. and 2. above are interchangeable.
31 > > Steps 3. and 4. above are interchangeable.
32 > > Steps 2. and 3. above and NOT interchangeable.
33 > >
34 > > The hard drive is recognised as a USB device by udev and any partitions on
35 > > it become available for mounting. Are there some instructions available
36 > > for your docking station which direct a different sequence of actions?
37 >
38 > Hi,
39 >
40 > the manual is "iconized" (following "a picture is worth a thousands
41 > words" - read as "we have no translator at our company"). A sequence
42 > of steps is not determinable.
43
44 In this case you can't be sure what would be worse, a poor translation or an
45 indeterminable sequence in pictorial representation. :-)
48 > Do you diconnect your docking station from the usb port each time?
49 > Why is the HD removable also then?
50
51 As I understand it, USB devices are hot-pluggable (as long as their filesystem
52 is not mounted at the time). Hard drives on the other hand may or may not be
53 hot swappable. SCSI drives on servers are usually hot swappable, with
54 staggered pins on their plugs to allow ground and data connections to take
55 place before the power pins apply power to the drive. Fibrechannel drives can
56 be plugged in and out all day long. Your vanilla SATA drive on a PC is
57 unlikely to be hot swappable. I would think the SATA HD on the docking
58 station is unlikely to be hot swappable, unless specifically advertised as
59 such.
62 > I would expect that the docking station is triggering an enumeration
63 > of its device each time the docking station is powered up with a
64 > HD inserted...and not only if the USB plug is attached to the
65 > computer....
66 >
67 > Cheers!
68 > mcc
69
70 I don't really now how PCIe to USB adapters work, but I would think they have
71 a controller onboard which converts one electrical signal to the other and a
72 USB microcontroller which takes care of USB protocol transactions with the PC.