From: Ian Porter <ian@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge R
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:37:34
1 Hi,
2
3 >> Oh soz, thought that "R" meant re-compile. sorry.
4 >
5 > it does mean recompile, however what your saying is:
6 > emerge -p <package> = compile newest stable version of package
7 >
8 > and if the newest stable version is the one you've already got, then it
9 > will "Recompile" it.
10
11 K, cheers, I am still learning :).
14 >> > It might be helpful if you supply the exact command you're trying to
15 >> > use, and a sample of the output. It may be that you should be doing
16 >> > something slightly different.
17 >>
18 >> umm.. I am not at the PC at the minute, but I think it is something
19 >> like iwconfig wlan0 up
20 >
21 > I was referring to the emerge commands, but you seem to have that
22 > sorted out now.
23 >
24 >> to bring up the wlan0 with the ndiswrapper (I assume ?) and it is
25 >> stopping on this,
26 >
27 > now that you've mentioned it though, if you still want to try the ndis
28 > version and not wait for the rt2500 package, then you have to
29 > 1. install ndiswrapper (of course :)
30 > 2. load your inf file from windows (I'll leave it up to you to find out
31 > which one :)
32 > 3. load it (modprobe ndiswrapper)
33 > 4. then set essid, key, etc with iwconfig
34 > 5. then do ifconfig wlan0 ... (or dhcp)
35
36 Ok, thanks, I have already done this before because it was working. But I
37 am not sure why it is not now, I shall have to check my emerge logs for the
38 passed week and see what is in there that could effect this. (sorry for
39 saying the obvious, of which I should have done last night)
40
41 > OO is fine to upgrade, if a little large. I use the openoffice-bin
42 > (version 2) and it works great!
43
44 yeah that is the version and I am impressed with that as well :).
47 >> btw do you use wpa_supplicant
48 >> with the rt2500 driver ?
49 >
50 > no, I've been meaning to for a while, so it's on my list of "been
51 > meaning to's"
52
53 Cheers once I am back online, I may see if the rt2500 driver works with
54 wpa_supplicant because that is how I am/was using ndiswrapper with.
55
56 Thanks for all of the help
57 Ian
58