From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 12:26:54
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 6:42 AM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> A laser printer is *much* more economical to run than inkjets. The toner
4 >> cartridges never dry out - with inkjet you often replace the ink before it has
5 >> run out, because it has dried out. Initially you pay more for a laser, but
6 >> over the years you will recuperate your investment in lower running costs.
7 > You will pay for it VERY quickly. A good color laser costs $200. An
8 > inkjet plus the first set of cartridges, which will last six months
9 > together, will cost you $100-150 (one way or another - either with a
10 > cheap printer with super-expensive cartridges, or an expensive printer
11 > with more reasonable cartridges).
12 >
13 > There is a reason just about any company with professional IT uses
14 > laser printers. They're just way cheaper to operate long-term, and
15 > really long-term works out to be something like a year. They also
16 > don't print photos (more on that below).
17 >
18 > If you have a family then laser printers also are worth it for peace
19 > of mind. Inkjets are a maintenance nightmare, and they tend to
20 > contribute to spouses becoming a maintenance nightmare. They seem to
21 > ALWAYS need unclogging or tweaking or whatever, and of course every
22 > time you hit that clean button you can just feel money draining out of
23 > your wallet. A laser printer just needs to be fed new toner when a
24 > cartridge empties, which is rare and takes two minutes. Occasionally
25 > they will jam, and usually the paper path is very easy to access and
26 > clear.
27 >
28 >> However, the quality of printing pictures is something you ought to check
29 >> before you buy. As a rule, inkjets with their liquid ink, print better colour
30 >> pictures than a comparable laser. Professional laser printers for thousands
31 >> of dollars are better than what you're thinking of buying, but even then they
32 >> won't match the colour flow and finish of a good quality inkjet. So, consider
33 >> your use case and go to a shop to try-before-you-buy, because a laser printer
34 >> may not be your optimal choice.
35 > If you care about photos, laser printers are useless. So are "cheap"
36 > inkjets, and they aren't cheap either.
37 >
38 > If you care about photos I almost always tell people to just have them
39 > printed commercially. Walmart is just fine for what most people care
40 > about, and their service will exceed the quality of any sub-$150-200
41 > inkjet easily. A better service will simply be unbeatable by any
42 > reasonable home printer and will still be cheaper than most inkjet
43 > solutions.
44 >
45 > Now, if you print a LOT of photos then a higher-end inkjet might be a
46 > worthwhile investment, especially if printing on demand is
47 > commercially valuable for you. The higher-end printers combined with
48 > quality ink/paper can turn out a very good product and they're
49 > reasonable economical to operate because the ink is cheap and there
50 > probably are upwards of 10+ individual tanks in them, or they may
51 > support bulk ink out of the box. However, you have to print often
52 > enough to go through a set of cartridges every six months or so,
53 > because they still have a shelf life, and if you're throwing away 10%
54 > used cartridges your cost per page goes WAY up.
55 >
56 > And make no mistake, one way or another decent photos cost money to
57 > print. If you print high-volume with a good printer at home maybe
58 > that $10 print online only costs $7-8 to DIY. Photos go through a LOT
59 > of ink. When you see those stats about pages per cartridge they
60 > generally assume 5% coverage, and a photo is 100% coverage, and of
61 > course you have to use photo paper on top of that. If you aren't
62 > draining those cartridges completely before they dry up then your cost
63 > goes up, and any savings evaporate. They might be worth it for
64 > convenience, but you're paying for it.
65 >
66 > So, I would still generally advocate the laser printer for most
67 > people, augmented by commercial photo printing when needed. Also,
68 > think about whether you REALLY need color - the complexity of the
69 > printer goes up significantly with color and the cost to operate - a
70 > monochrome laser will be much cheaper to operate.
71 >
72 > Right now I'm at the point where I don't even have a working printer.
73 > My postscript color laser needs a new image drum and I just can't see
74 > one paying for itself. I can print at work if I need to, or if I'm in
75 > a hurry I can pay the outrageous $0.10/page at Staples (just email a
76 > PDF to an address and you get an access code to print the document on
77 > demand). Since a good quality printer easily costs half that already
78 > the break-even time to DIY would be quite long, though there is
79 > certainly a convenience factor having a printer at home. I just don't
80 > have that compulsion to print stuff out. If anything I do the reverse
81 > - scanning any paper I'm given and shredding it.
82 >
83 > --
84 > Rich
89 Thanks to both for the info.  I usually use online picture developers or
90 local ones.  Why, I like the old style of processing of film.  I've seen
91 some inkjet printed images have issues in the recent past.  Some are
92 better then others of course but as I get older, I want pictures that
93 can survive more bad storage.  As some know, my Mom had been sick for a
94 long time.  She passed away a few weeks ago, which is why I haven't been
95 posting much recently.  Trying to sort through pictures, I can tell
96 which were done on some sort of inkjet printer and which were done the
97 old way.  Heck, I soaked some of the old processed pictures in water to
98 get them to turn lose and almost all of them separated just fine.  The
99 ones that were printed with inkjet type printers didn't do well at all.
100 Of course, those old Polaroids didn't even stick at all.  Besides, there
101 are places where a 5x7 picture is only $0.12 to $0.15 or I could buy a
102 dedicated printer just for photos.  My sis-n-law has one and she said it
103 works pretty well.  I'd want to do some testing to see just how much
104 abuse they can stand tho.
105
106 This is why I was looking mainly at HP, Lexmark and a couple other
107 brands.  I've read some stories on Brother not having the best driver
108 support as well as a couple others, I think some Epsons have issues as
109 well.  I wanted to find out if a particular printer works or not before
110 I spent money on one.  It sounds like that as long as a printer supports
111 a few languages, it has a better chance of working easily.  I don't care
112 about brand as much as I do that it just plain works and will not be a
113 piece of junk like the old inkjet printers that I want to get away from.
114
115 A reason I want to print, for when there is no power here to run
116 computers.  We have occasions where due to storms etc we don't have
117 power.  It isn't often but when it comes time to eat, a recipe on the
118 puter that I can't cut on isn't much help.  A recipe book that I printed
119 tho, that works, even if by candle light.  lol  Plus, sometimes I want
120 to print something for friends that want printed copies, usually
121 recipes.  As it is, I send them a copy and they take it to work etc to
122 print.  ;-)
123
124 I'm starting to warm up to that Lexmark.  I really like the price on
125 that second link in other post.  I can take the savings and buy a full
126 set of cartridges, high yield ones.  While on those.  I thought about
127 putting the printer in another room that isn't as climate controlled as
128 my bedroom is.  How does the printers do in rooms like that?  It gets a
129 bit warm in the summer and cool in the winter.  It doesn't get down to
130 freezing or anything but does get pretty cool.  I'm just curious if the
131 toner might mess up in temps that are cooler or warmer than normal.
132 Also, should the printer be left on all the time or only on when is
133 use?  I recall a friend ages ago that was told to leave his on so that
134 the toner would get clumpy or something.  It's been a long time ago so
135 can't recall what the problem was.
136
137 Thanks so much for the info, both of you.
138
139 Dale
140