From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: star
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:26:54
1 Alexander Skwar ha scritto:
2 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 24 Sep 2007, at 09:30, Alexander Skwar wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>>> and if p7zip supports pipes, you don't need its support in tar.
7 >>>> Just pipe
8 >>>> from/to it.
9 >>> It does and that's the way it's supposed to be used on unix, according
10 >>> to its manpage.
11 >> GNU tar features the -j, -z and -Z options.
12 >
13 > Yes, bad, isn't it? These options are not part of the Posix standard.
14 > It would be good, if these superflous options wouldn't be present at
15 > all. I say "superflous", as pipes work just fine.
16
17 It's not that an option becomes "bad" just because it's not carved into
18 the POSIX standard. What's important, I guess, is that tar is
19 POSIX-compliant, so that if you want, you can build POSIX-compliant
20 scripts etc. , but I can't see how non-POSIX but handy extensions could
21 be bad. Maybe it's me not seeing the problem. Maybe the POSIX standard
22 could just be extended as well. :)
23
24 >> and it would be nice to see p7zip supported
25 >> in the same way.
26 >
27 > No.
28