From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU/distcc combination question64-
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 11:57:27
1 On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 10:42:31 +0000 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 22:11:34 -0500, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm trying to run a distccserver in a 32-bit VM on a 64-bit host, for
5 > > the benefit of my ancient 32-bit-only netbook. Yeah, "it'll work" using
6 > > the native 64-bit host OS. But any stuff that links against 32-bit
7 > > libraries is going to be sent back to the netbook to compile locally.
8 > > That defeats the whole purpose of distcc. This is why I want the 32-bit
9 > > VM to compile for the 32-bit Atom. Here's the launch script for the
10 > > 32-bit VM on the i3 machine...
11 >
12 > I used to take a different approach. Instead of a VM I used a chroot
13 > that was a clone of the netbook, except that make.conf in the chroot
14 > included buildpkg in FEATURES and the netbook's make.conf have --usepkg in
15 > DEFAULT_OPTs. PKGDIR was an NFS share accessible to both.
16
17 Similar solution here, but instead of cloning, I NFS-mount root
18 from slow system using filescached to speedup I/O process and
19 placing all volatile data (/tmp, /var/tmp) either in local memory
20 or on fast local storage. This way there is no need to make manual
21 modifications twice or synchronize them somehow (e.g. when
22 modification of package.use or package.license during update is
23 needed).
24
25 I must warn that such approach should not be used for packages
26 using build-time profiling, like sci-libs/atlas or any ebuild with
27 USE="pgo" enabled; otherwise profiling will be wrong and targeted
28 on helper system instead of target box. In such cases distcc may be
29 used.
30
31 For 32-bit distcc on 64-bit host there is no need to chroot or
32 create VM (hey, they're hellishly slow!). Just add -m32 to your
33 *FLAGS to force 32-bit arch. (In some rare cases ebuild ignores
34 {C,CXX,F,FC}FLAGS, while this is a bug and should be fixed, this
35 can be worked around on distcc server by forcing -m32 for each
36 gcc call.
37
38 Best regards,
39 Andrew Savchenko