From: Flophouse Joe <flophousejoe-gentoo-user-xdzvne@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Newly created user can't ssh in but others can?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:28:17
1 On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Daevid Vincent wrote:
2
3 > I have had my server for several years, I haven't added a new user in
4 > probably 6 months or more. I tried to add one last night and all seemed
5 > fine. However it can't login via ssh (not at a console, so I don't know
6 > about that way) but existing accounts can.
7
8 It could be a bunch of things, so you're going to have to brainstorm.
9
10 Here are some quick ideas off the top of my head:
11
12 - Does the new user have a valid shell?
13
14 - If the new user's shell is valid and different from other users'
15 shells, then is the new user's shell listed in /etc/shells ?
16
17 - Is the PAM configuration known to be sane? (i.e., have you confirmed
18 that there are no files in /etc/pam.d/ that need to be merged via
19 etc-update from a previous upgrade?)
20
21 - What sort of output does sshd send to the syslog when the new user
22 attempts to login? Does the output change-- and reveal any hints-- if
23 sshd is run in the forground in debug mode?
24
25 Joe
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list