From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The sudden disappearance of ....WHAT??? (I/O error on a SD flash card?!)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:33:19
1 On 03/26 08:10, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > > Currently I am ddresucueing the flashcard to the harddisc.
3 > >>> Next I will try to mount the sdcard.
4 > >>>
5 > >>>
6 > I hope you meant to say "mount the sdcard image". Once ddrescue has done
7 > its best, you wont try to use the sdcard again.
8 >
9 > Also, you probably want to copy the image first, because when you try to
10 > fix it you will perform writes, and you dont want to lock yourself out of
11 > other recovery options by making potentially damaging writes.
14 > > What reliable sdcard-reader can one recommend ?
15 > >>>
16 > >>
17 > I'm not sure what you mean here given that you're making an image with
18 > ddrescue.
19 >
20 > Is the assumption correct, that -- if ddrescue could read each
21 > >> partitions of the sdcard without stuttering, retries and errors --
22 > >>
23 > > the sdcard itsself is ok and "only" the logical structure
24 > >> (fs, superblock etc) got damaged?
25 > >> Or do I overlook something?
26 > >>
27 > >
28 > If ddrescue can read it cleanly with no retries (in which case it will
29 > offer no benefit over dd) then yes, I agree. However, given the cost of a
30 > card and the cost of your time and the risk to your data, I wouldnt be
31 > using it.
34 > > I dont know of a cdparanoia type recovery utility for sdcards but I
35 > > suspect sdcard design means that approach wont work.
38 > I would just use photorec against a copy of the image. I have done this in
39 > the past and recovered many files from a ddrescued image of a failing USB
40 > drive, however, all the filenames were lost.
41
42 Hi,
43
44 I copied the image of course and umounted the sdcard as soon as
45 possible.
46
47 As in my previous posting, as long the recovered files are images,
48 the lost of filenames my be annoying...
49 But in case of files of a Android system (from which the sdcard
50 originates) the lost of filenames is equivaltent to the lost of
51 the file itsself...
52
53 Cheers
54 Meino