From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:54:52
1 On Friday 29 May 2015 16:28:57 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Friday 29 May 2015 10:36:37 Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > >> I had two sets of problems: one in KDE which I might have nailed finally
5 > >> [1], and one at boot time in which /dev/md7 (RAID-1 with metadata > 1.0)
6 > >> was not being started.
7 > >>
8 > >> [1] Whenever I've had KMail screw up I've created a new user and
9 > >> re-imported its 14,000 e-mails, and until this latest time I've copied
10 > >> the .mozilla directory from the old user to the new. This time I did
11 > >> not, and so far all looks rosy. I'm not counting any chickens yet
12 > >> though.
13 > >
14 > > Did you try deleting the akonadi database file(s) and restarting it
15 > > instead of creating a new user? You will have to be patient, probably
16 > > let it run overnight to asynchronously sync and re-index all your
17 > > messages.
18 >
19 > What in god's name is that stupid database for anyway? Does it perform
20 > any useful function? Is there any tool that gives the user any
21 > measurable benefit that even justifies one one hundredth of the CPU and
22 > disk bandwidth consumed by this missfeature?
23
24 I think you're preaching to the converted here. I don't think you'll find
25 many advocates in this M/L who support the KDE4 desktop design decision as a
26 sound architectural choice for your average Linux user. I think they were
27 trying to market a desktop for the enterprise and were following Gnome's
28 approach of semantic content searches.
29
30 Other than the odd bug here and there I was perfectly happy with KDE3 and
31 Kmail1 (still using with kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.4.11.1-r1).
34 Regards,
35 Mick