From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] identical drives, different free space!
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:02:43
1 On Mon, 17 May 2010 19:33:18 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > >I share my distfiles but I don't use FTP as that means storing copies
4 > >of the same file on each computer. Instead, I use NFS. /mnt/portage is
5 > >shared across all machines on the network and DISTDIR is set
6 > >to /mnt/portage/distfiles in each make.conf.
7 >
8 > I used to do that, but it meant my NFS server had to be running to
9 > perform any software maintenance on any box, so it became a single point
10 > of failure. The FTP approach allows each box to be self-reliant.
11
12 Fair comment. I have DISTDIR on my mail server, so if that goes down,
13 I've more to worry about that a few tarballs. Even if it is inaccessible,
14 the other computers would simply download the files to the local
15 directory.
16
17 > >Sharing /mnt/portage like this means I can also share my overlay across
18 > >the network at /mnt/portage/local.
19 >
20 > My boxes have different stuff in their overlays, and one uses no
21 > overlay packages at all. Sharing overlays doesn't make much sense for
22 > my set-up.
23
24 It makes sense for me because everything is in one place, making
25 maintenance and backups simpler. Even if a package is only used on one
26 computer, for now, a central location still makes sense.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 The computer revolution is over. The computers won.