From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dual booting 2 gentoo installations
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:53:02
1 On Thursday 27 November 2008 07:20:37 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
3 >
4 > <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> I take it you've already observed that you can also share portage and
6 > >> distfiles directories? Easiest is if they are on their own partitions
7 > >> but there are tricks that can get the same effect if not. How to do this
8 > >> is left as an exercise for the reader :-) with one tip for those who
9 > >> don't know:
10 > >>
11 > >> mount -o bind
12 > >> --
13 > >> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
14 > >
15 > > I know about mount -o bind.
16 > > However, (forgive me if this is naive), why not just a symlink? That
17 > > is the way I do.
18 > > I want my root partition to be small (for performance reasons), so I
19 > > put things that don't need speed int its own partion, which I mount in
20 > > /usr/local/slowpart (the name fits; the partition is at the end of the
21 > > harddisk and 80% full, so it is slower than the root partion, that is
22 > > at the beginning of the hard disk and 7% full.
23 > > In this slowpart, I have DISTDIR, PKGDIR, and some personal files that
24 > > are not frequently accessed (such as files I will likely never use but
25 > > kept for safety). I configure DISTDIR and PKGDIR in make.conf, but the
26 > > personal files are linked to my home via symbolic links.
30 > I guess the advantage of bind-mount is having all of it configured in
31 > fstab, as instead of having many symlinks.
32 > (forgive me it this is naive).
33
34 I wouldn't call it naive. Sometimes the simple solution is the best one,
35 sometimes you need something more complex. So whether to use symlinks or a
36 bind mount depends on circumstance.
39 > And there is all that --move, --make-shared, --make-slave,
40 > --make-private, --make-unbindable stuff, but that seems overkill for a
41 > desktop user.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com