From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with sound card
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:55:59
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 10/25/2011 08:11 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
5 >>  wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On 10/25/2011 07:17 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com>
10 >>>>  wrote:
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Paul Hartman
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>>>> Or that commercial linux sound driver package... I don't even remember
15 >>>>>> what it was called anymore.
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> OSS I think - something like Open Sound System or some such other
18 >>>>> crazy thing, being it was neither Open nor most of the time for me
19 >>>>> produced Sound on my System. ;-)
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> I think there is still support for it in the kernel. Go figure...
22 >>>>
23 >>>> It's only been deprecated for over a decade...I can only barely
24 >>>> remember a time before ALSA was pulled into the mainline kernel.
25 >>>
26 >>> OSS is the standard sound system for Unix still to this day though.
27 >>> Everybody uses it, except Linux.
28 >>>
29 >>> It's GPL by the way.  I actually use it on my main PC ;-)  On supported
30 >>> sound cards, it works much better than ALSA.  Not the version in the
31 >>> kernel,
32 >>> of course, that one is deprecated.  The newest version is v4 and is only
33 >>> available out-of-kernel.
34 >>
35 >> I imagine that it's support for the cards it supported in that time
36 >> period was probably better than ALSA. I came to Linux looking for a
37 >> platform to replace Windows to support Avid's ProTools. As I soon
38 >> learned that wasn't going to happen, at least not soon, and it hasn't
39 >> changed in the 10-15 years I've been using Linux. However in those
40 >> days my need for ALSA was driven by OSS not supporting any sound card
41 >> hardware that was of interest to people recording music. ALSA was at
42 >> least trying, and has gotten much better over the years with things
43 >> like Jack and rt-sources which easily outperforms Windows in terms of
44 >> latency.
45 >
46 > That's true.  Though I judge by desktop needs on my machine.  The lack of a
47 > per-application volume mixer in ALSA is really frustrating.  And if you bark
48 > about it, you're told to install PulseAudio, which is another can of worms
49 > entirely :-/  I guess I'm gonna be using OSSv4 for as long as that old
50 > Soundblaster Live I have here refuses to die.
51
52 Agreed; per-app volume controls are nice. The Linux-specific nature of
53 ALSA isn't such a good thing. Though if ALSA implements an OSSv4
54 wrapper, that's not so bad. (Not that I think they're likely to; if
55 the wrapper exposes more functionality than their core supports, it'll
56 greatly complicate their architecture.)
57
58 I also kinda miss being able to test audio with cat. I have a t-shirt
59 somewhere which says "cat /boot/vmlinux > /dev/audio # The sound of
60 Linux". That was my quote for my high school's Science Olympiad team
61 T-shirt. Being able to record audio files using the reverse was also
62 very convenient, as was testing microphone settings by dumping the
63 device to the terminal.
66 :wq