From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two portage questions
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 15:40:18
1 On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:31 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Alan
4 > Mackenzie
5 > did opine thusly:
6 >
7 > > Hi, Gentoo.
8 > >
9 > > Two questions about Portage whose ansers I haven't found in the fine
10 > > manuals:
11 > >
12 > > 1. Where is it specified what is in "system" in the same way that
13 > > "world" is in the file /var/lib/portage/world?
14 >
15 > That is defined in your system profile, not by you.
16 >
17 > /etc/make.profile is a symlink to something in $PORTDIR/profiles/ and that
20 Odd. Not on my system, it's not. It's a directory with two entries:
21 eapi: a text file, length 2, with contents "2\n".
22 parent: a text file with two lines:
23 ..
24 ../../../../../../targets/desktop/kde
25 The parent is obviously not relative to the /etc/make.profile directory.
26 Portage works,
27 pretty much, although I have an unbuildable essential package at the moment
28 with a bug just filed. Eix says my portage is 2.1.9.42.
29
30 defines the profile you are using. A profile is nothing more than a bunch of
31 > files that define what your basic system consists of - things like minimum
32 > packages to install, things that must not be installed, starting point for
33 > USE
34 > flags, etc etc.
35 >
36 [snippage]