From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: package.keywords
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:41:43
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > This is my (mis)conception, although, as you have suggest,
5 > > there are (gentoo) cultural norms that do suggest
6 > > certain boolean operations should not be used,
7 > > in say for example, package.keywords?
8
9 > That's more just a safeguard against forgetting you put it there than anything
10 > else
11
12 Good to know.
13
14 > The vast majority of cases will use only the "=" operator or nothing. That's
15 > so you unmask the one version you are interested in, not everything from here
16 > on out, including every buggy, pre-release and just plain broken version that
17 > happens to have an ebuild.
18
19 So entries in package.keywords should just have the ~ in front of them?
20 No point in using other boolean operations in the package.keywords file?
25 > The use-case for no operator is mostly for the case where you run say a stable
26 > box, and want the latest of a specific well-known package. You might want the
27 > latest Qt for example. Another example is -svn ebuilds - enlightenment is a
28 > case in point. The snapshots are always out of date, latest svn is pretty
29 > stable, so one must unmask everything to get the -9999 versions
32 Ok, now you just tossed my little (pee brain) around quite significantly...
33 Your saying that not operator will get me the -9999 (SVN) version
34 of a package?And that this is most likely the most stable because
35 the devs/hacks work on it often?
38 If so then lets put it to the test.
39 Maybee app-arch/xz-utils ?
40 so my entry in /etc/portage/package.keywords should look like this:
41
42 app-arch/xz-utils
43 Nothing I tried in either package.keywords or package.unmask
44 make the app-arch/xz-utils-9999 (SVN) version available.
47 So what did I miss?
50 James