From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless...
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 04:16:16
1 This is my etc/conf.d/net file:
2
3 modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
4 wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
5 preferred_aps=("ESSID1" "ESSID2")
6 essid_wlan0="any"
7
8 All specific stuff is in /wpa_supplicant/supplicant.conf
9
10 Zeerak
11
12 On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 03:17:15 +0100, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
13
14 > I have wireless working (b43legacy driver for the Dell Wireless
15 > Broadcom) through a static configuration in /etc/conf.d/net - basically:
16 >
17 > essid_wlan0="myWLAN"
18 > key_MYWLAN="somekey"
19 > config_MYWLAN=( "dhcp" )
20 > preferred_APS= ( "myWLAN" )
21 >
22 > I would like to use a tool like WPA Supplicant instead so I can have a
23 > more dynamic configuration.
24 > I've tried to setup WPA supplicant but haven't been able to get it to
25 > work.
26 >
27 > My last attempt was with:
28 >
29 > modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
30 > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
31 > wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
32 >
33 > I also tried the iwconfig setup:
34 >
35 > modules=( "iwconfig" )
36 > iwconfig_wlan0="mode managed"
37 > wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
38 >
39 > Both these were based on configurations I found while researching gentoo
40 > wireless configurations:
41 >
42 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wireless_Networking
43 >
44 > the wpa_supplicant man page possibly suggests uses "-Dbroadcom", but the
45 > following supports "-Dwext" since I have the b43legacy driver working
46 > (firmware extracted using b43-fwcutter a while back; dmesg reports
47 > version 0x127).
48 >
49 > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
50 >
51 > I have both the iwconfig utilities and wpa supplicant installed. When I
52 > used wpa supplicant with either configuration it would just keep
53 > searching.
54 >
55 > Now, my wireless configuration is currently WEP; and I'd like to upgrade
56 > to WPA/WPA2 once I can get a wireless tool on the system as well.
57 >
58 > Is there anything I'm doing wrong with the configuration above?
59 >
60 > Also - what is the correct GUI for configuring connections under KDE4? I
61 > know of the WPA Supplicant GUI; and the GNOME GUI; but would like
62 > something under more directly KDE4.
63 >
64 > KNemo just puts up monitors that are pretty useless (though look pretty).
65 >
66 > TIA,
67 >
68 > Ben
69 >
70 > P.S. It seems my Linksys WRT54G v3 needs a firmware update for WPA2. So
71 > right now, I'd just like to be able to configure dynamically for my WEP
72 > network; then I'll focus on going to WPA/WPA2.
78 Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/