From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 19:32:24
1 On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> <SNIP>
6 >>>> Can you play the WMV?
7 >>>>
8 >>>> The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
9 >>>> container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
10 >>>> ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.
11 >>>>
12 >>>
13 >>> I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
14 >>> I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
15 >>> play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
16 >>> this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
17 >>> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
18 >>> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
19 >>> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
20 >>> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
21 >>> Nothing more.
22 >>>
23 >>> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
24 >>> even know what format they'd be in.
25 >>
26 >> Expanding a bit I copied one of the files to a test directory to play
27 >> with. It seems smplayer will actually play the audio but won't display
28 >> video. midentify gives some data. When I look at the ffmpeg info it
29 >> seems to me it's also having trouble with the video portion. At least
30 >> it seems to understand the audio portion.
31 >>
32 >> I'm guessing the pivot point here is the video format code:
33 >>
34 >> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
35 >>
36 >> Cheers,
37 >> Mark
38 >>
39 >> mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $ midentify Test1.wmv
40 >> ID_AUDIO_ID=1
41 >> ID_VIDEO_ID=2
42 >> ID_FILENAME=Test1.wmv
43 >> ID_DEMUXER=asf
44 >> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
45 >> ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=4971000
46 >> ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1366
47 >> ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=740
48 >> ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
49 >> ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
50 >> ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
51 >> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
52 >> ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
53 >> ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
54 >> ID_START_TIME=5.00
55 >> ID_LENGTH=9130.09
56 >> ID_SEEKABLE=1
57 >> ID_CHAPTERS=0
58 >> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=20008
59 >> ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
60 >> ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
61 >> ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
62 >> ID_EXIT=EOF
63 >> mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $
64 >
65 > http://wiki.debian.org/WindowsMediaVideo
66 >
67 > Videos with the MSS2 FOURCC should be playable with the w32codecs package.
70 > --
71 > :wq
74 Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
75 they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
76 emerge won't enable the darn thing...
77
78 I'll try another system after the market closes and I have some time.
79
80 Thanks,
81 Mark
82
83 mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $ emerge -pv mplayer
84
85 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
86
87 Calculating dependencies... done!
88 [ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1 USE="X a52
89 alsa ass cdio dirac dts dv dvd dvdnav enca encode faac faad gif iconv
90 jpeg jpeg2k live mad mmx mng mp3 network opengl osdmenu png quicktime
91 rar real rtc schroedinger sdl shm speex sse sse2 ssse3 theora toolame
92 tremor truetype twolame unicode vorbis x264 xinerama xscreensaver xv
93 xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -amr (-aqua) -bidi
94 -bindist -bl -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdparanoia -cpudetection
95 -custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -fbcon -ftp -ggi
96 -gsm -ipv6 -jack -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -libmpeg2 -lirc -lzo
97 -md5sum -mmxext -mpg123 -nas -nut -openal -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr
98 -radio -rtmp -samba -tga -v4l -vdpau (-vidix) -vpx (-win32codecs)
99 -xanim -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB
100
101 Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
102 mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $