From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:17:26
1 Indi wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 04:40:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:00 on Thursday 12 May 2011, Indi did opine
5 >> thusly:
8 >>> I had 8 users on kde before 3 was deprecated in 2009.
9 >>> Now I have zero. It was a harrowing time, switching
10 >>> everyone to gnome, finding that is not so hot, finally
11 >>> putting them on xfce. If xfce gets a wild hair and changes
12 >>> my plan is to dumb down the fluxbox or openbox
13 >>> configs I have for my own use, add some scripting and call
14 >>> it a day.
15 >>>
16 >> So why didn't you just leave the users on KDE3?
19 > For the same reason I didn't leave them on windows 98 se.
20 > Yes, it technically "still works" but is far less useful
21 > than it was when it was enthusiastically supported by its
22 > creators and still considered one of two default choices
23 > for DE duty.
24 >
25 > I'm sorry if this discussion has offended you, Alan.
26 > That was certainly not my intent.
27 > However, admins with stories like mine are not at all uncommon,
28 > and the bottom line is that kde4 lost a lot of users to other
29 > DEs. The kde devs clearly bit off more than could chew, but
30 > obviously that's water under the bridge now. But to deny it or
31 > make excuses now does no service to anyone. "Oops, better not do
32 > that again", is what we all hope they learned. We all make mistakes,
33 > just don't make the same ones repeatedly! :)
36 +1
37
38 Dale
39