From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel vs kernel manual compilation
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:07:30
1 On Freitag, 31. August 2007, Ryan Sims wrote:
2 > On 8/31/07, Steen Eugen Poulsen <sep@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Volker Armin Hemmann skrev:
4 > > > because I have seen more than one non-booting totally f* up kernel
5 > > > created by genkernel. I won't touch it ever again. If something sucked
6 > > > in the past, the change is great that it sucks again in the future.
7 > > > Plus it doesn't really make things easier, does it?
8 > >
9 > > Enough of this religous FUD spreading about Genkernel.
10 > >
11 > > Your outright lying.
12 > >
13 > > If you don't have anything to say than lies and FUD, maybe it's time to
14 > > stop saying anything.
15 >
16 > Ok, let's all just take a deep breath, chill out and get back on-topic.
17 >
18 > Clearly there are differing opinions/experiences about genkernel. We
19 > needn't get into a "religious" war on either side; I have a certain
20 > way I apporach kernel building that makes me avoid genkernel, that's
21 > my choice. There are those who like what genkernel does, that's their
22 > choice.
23 >
24 > I've made the argument that a non-genkernel config is less complicated
25 > than a genkernel config, and I think that's a supportable position.
26 > I've also argued that the OP should think about hand-configuring from
27 > scratch, as it reduces the number of variables to troubleshoot.
28 >
29 > I think Volker's point about genkernel not making things easier is
30 > just that it seems to be a source of confusion and complexity in this
31 > particular case (Volker please correct me if I'm wrong), which is a
32 > valid point.
33
34 well, in all cases ...
35
36 > And it isn't "FUD" or "lies" to warn about having bad
37 > experiences with a tool in the past.
38
39 exactly.
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list