From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: installation failure
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:57:57
1 On 17/08/2015 20:54, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 17/08/2015 17:36, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Heck, I wish a stage 1 install was supported. I think I'd give it a shot if I could.
5 >>
6 >> Er, no. You don't. You really, really REALLY don't want to go Stage 1 :-)
7 >>
8 >> My second install was a stage 1, way back in the day when the stage 3s
9 >> weren't fully usable out of the box yet. My first was a stage 2 (fully
10 >> documented back then) and for the second one I decided to be brave.
11 >>
12 >> I did learn something, but it really wasn't worth the effort. In fact,
13 >> LFS was less pain. Take a bootstrap setup and somehow get it to produce
14 >> a working compiler, then use that to get a half-decent user-space and
15 >> finally get a stage 3. Ugh :-)
18 >> For a masochist like you, it might be fun :-)
19 >> Stages are still on the download mirrors, and I'm sure we could find a
20 >> copy of the handbook from back then for you. That thing was in CVS,
21 >> wans't it?
25 > Well, if I did it, it would be for giggles and because I was bored to
26 > tears. Would I learn something, most likely. Question is, would what I
27 > learn do me any good? Most likely not.
31 You'd get street cred.
32
33 There's only a very few people around brave (stupid?) enough to do a
34 stage 1, just like there's only so many people that can really claim to
35 have written main.cf from scratch by hand
36
37 Dunno how much those bragging points are worth in this day and age though.
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com