From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SSH brute force attacks and blacklist.py
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:20:19
1 On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:13:10AM +0000, Penguin Lover Steve squawked:
2 > Thanks for all your suggestions...
3 >
4 > I will look into fail2ban... that might be what I need... While I could
5 > crank BLOCKING_PERIOD for blacklist.py to an absurdly high value, this
6 > (AFAIK) will not persist blocks when the server is powered down or rebooted.
7
8 Hum, that is interesting. I haven't played with blacklist.py, but if
9 it runs on top of iptables, the iptables init script *should* save the
10 current config when powering down. I sort of depended on that when I
11 cobbled together a perl script 2 years ago to parse the sshd log and
12 ban sites using iptables.
13
14 Also, I would not suggest banning forever. I started with the same
15 mentality as you and coded as such. I switched quickly to banning for
16 1 hour when once, due to not noticing the caps-lock light, I banned my
17 work computer completely... After switching to the 1 hour ban, I did a
18 small experiment and saved about 2 months worth of logs. Not a single
19 ip address has been banned more than once (but there were several /24
20 in Korea, Taiwan, and Mexico that have many ip addresses banned).
21 Based on this, I don't think it is strictly necessary to ban forever.
22
23 Just my 2 cents.
24
25 W
26 --
27 Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.
28 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 447 days, 14:37
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list