From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 06:48:01
1 >> > Puppet seems like overkill for what I need. I think all I really need
2 >> > is something to manage config file differences and user accounts. At
3 >> > this point I'm thinking I shouldn't push packages themselves, but
4 >> > portage config files and then let each laptop emerge unattended based
5 >> > on those portage configs. I'm going to bring this to the 'salt'
6 >> > mailing list to see if it might be a good fit. It seems like a much
7 >> > lighter weight application.
8 >>
9 >> Two general points I can add:
10 >>
11 >> 1. Sharing config files turns out to be really hard. By far the easiest
12 >> way is to just share /etc but that is an all or nothing approach, and
13 >> you just need one file to be different to break it. Like /etc/hostname
14 >>
15 >> You *could* create a "share" directory inside /etc and symlink common
16 >> files in there, but that gets very tedious quickly.
17 >
18 > How about using something like unison? I've been using it for a while
19 > now to sync a specific subset of ~ between three computers.
20 > It allows for exclude rules for host-specific stuff.
21
22 I think what I'd be missing with unison is something to manage the
23 differences in those host-specific files.
24
25 - Grant