From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] idea on updates
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:22:16
1 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Joshua D Doll wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:22:00 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>>> Why, could the dev add an option that parses out all of those
8 >>>> pesky admin things into either a singular log file? Or better
9 >>>> yet, a gui popup that lists just those instructions for each
10 >>>> package. Then a lazy admin could go through them, take whatever
11 >>>> action necessary, and then just kill the pop-up.
12 >>>>
13 >>>
14 >>> Do you mean like the elog system that can write this information to a
15 >>> separate log file, email it to you, pass it to a command or any
16 >>> combination of these? There are also elog viewers in portage,
17 >>> although I
18 >>> have no experience of these, I use my mailer to read these messages.
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >> I concur elog is great. I have it e-mail me a single file after I've
23 >> run updates or installed anything. It's stupid simple to setup too.
24 >
25 > Sounds like a really useful tool, but I can't see where to get it.
26 >
27 > According to eix, the only elog tools are direct viewers. I'd really
28 > like one that can email me, where can I find it?
29 >
30 > Thanks
31 >
32 > Matt
37 I don't use the email feature but I got this from man make.conf:
38
39 PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES
40
41 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM
42
43 PORTAGE_ELOG_COMMAND
44
45 PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI
46
47 PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM
48
49 PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT
50 Please see /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for
51 elog documentation.
52
53 I would look at the make.conf.example file to see how to set that up.
54
55 Dale
56