From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need help with USE options.
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:26:20
1 On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:54:06 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I read a thread that was talking about the global USE pulling some
4 > things a user may not want installed.
5
6 That's why you can change USE flags on a per-package basis,
7 in /etc/portage/package.use.
8
9 > I am going to do a reinstall and
10 > mostly copy some things over from my current install but I do want to
11 > change my USE line.
12
13 There's no need to reinstall for this. Change your USE flags and do
14 "emerge -uavDN world". To re-emerge anything affected by the changes.
15 Then do "emerge -a depclean" to remove packages that are no longer needed.
16
17 > I am a bit worried about using the option they
18 > posted, the "-*" at the beginning of the USE line. I may disable
19 > something that I need then.
20
21 You will also disable, and never know about, any new or changed USE
22 flags. USE="-*..." is not a good idea for general use.
23
24 Incidentally, you can see which USE flags are set, including defaults,
25 with "emerge --info".
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great
32 ordeal of meeting me is another matter. - Sir Winston Churchill
33 (1874-1965)