From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE ridiculous memory usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:57:03
1 Am 19.09.2010 13:34, schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Alan McKinnon writes:
3 >> Like I posted in another thread today, the memory columns in top do not
4 >> mean what most people think they mean, nor are they simplistic.
5 >
6 > You gave the example of Thunderbird using 150M and Firefox 180M, but
7 > together they would not use 330M because some stuff is shared. Hm, isn't
8 > this what the SHR column in top is for? In Florian's case, there is
9 > firefox with 484M in the RES column and thunderbird with 146M, but the SHA
10 > column gives 10M + 15M, so only 25M of 630M are shared?
13 I thought the SHR column is about shared memory like System-V SHM, mmap
14 and Pipes when used for inter-process communication. But I could be wrong.