From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Conflageration
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:58:11
1 On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:00:14 -0500, WFisher wrote:
2
3 > I finished installing Gentoo and Xorg successfully. When I went to
4 > install the KDE desktop I decided to install the whole thing by typing
5 > emerge kde-meta, which installs everything possible. After about six
6 > hours I got frustrated and shut of the computer.
7 >
8 > My question is is can I delete what I already did and start over and
9 > just do a basic KDE install? And if so, what directory can I find that
10 > I can delete KDE from?
11
12 You could delete the packages with "emerge depclean", run with -p first.
13 Since kde-meta is not installed, the KDE packages you have will not be
14 dependencies of anything, so depclean will pick them up.
15
16 However, removing your existing KDE packages is a bad idea, since the
17 merge will have started with the basics, kdelibs, kdebase etc. You will
18 only have to emerge these over again for any KDE emerge.
19
20 I would install the basics with emerge kdebase-meta, then pick and choose
21 any other packages you want. Run emerge -p deplean at the end to see if
22 there are any leftover packages for your first install.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 "Bother" said Rue, for no apparent reason