From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 inode limit reached
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:49:58
1 On Dec 12, 2011 9:39 PM, "Joseph" <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Quick googling around indicates that JFS, or XFS don't have these
4 limitation.
5 > -----quote--------
6 > Many computer programs used by system administrators in UNIX operating
7 systems often designate files with inode numbers. Examples include popular
8 disk integrity checking utilities such as the fsck or pfiles. Thus, the
9 need naturally arises to translate inode numbers to file pathnames and vice
10 versa. This can be accomplished using the file finding utility find with
11 the -inum option, or the ls command with the proper option (-i on POSIX
12 compliant platforms).
13 >
14 > It is possible to use up a device's set of inodes. When this happens, new
15 files cannot be created on the device, even though there may be free space
16 available. For example, a mail server may have many small files that don't
17 fill up the disk, but use many inodes to point to the numerous files.
18 >
19 > Filesystems (such as JFS, or XFS) escape this limitation with extents
20 and/or dynamic inode allocation, which can 'grow' the filesystem and/or
21 increase the number of inodes.
22 > ----end quote------
25 ReiserFS also doesn't have problems with inodes because everything are kept
26 in b*trees that can keep growing indefinitely.
27
28 In fact, I think I read somewhere that ReiserFS is perfect for /var/tmp and
29 /usr/src due to the amount of small files in those directories.
30
31 Rgds,