From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovery from /var corruption?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:48:57
1 On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > On the other hand, because I have reasonably good user backups
5 > (although no real system backups) right now if I bite the bullet and
6 > build the machine then when my wife gets it back it's hopefully going
7 > to be more reliable, wouldn't it?
8 >
9 > I'm thinking that maybe I just copy a little stuff off the box - /etc
10 > and the like - and then boot the machine with the Gentoo install CD or
11 > System Resuce CD and see what the drive is doing?
12 >
13 <SNIP>
14
15 As a related idea I dug out an old copy of Spinrite which I'll run on
16 all the partitions just to see what it says. However if the problem is
17 currently 1 partition (/var) which is still mostly readable, could I
18 not just create a new var partition - the drive has space free - and
19 then copy important stuff from old var to new var, change fstab and
20 then basically just go on from there?
21
22 Cheers,
23 Mark