From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Mysterious vanishing of DNS entry of www.youtube.com...was I hacked?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:14:55
1 On 10 March 2015 19:16:12 CET, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 >Hi,
3 >
4 >the following happens some minutes before:
5 >I was searching on youtube for some reviews...
6 >and suddenly BOOM: "Server not found: Unknow host"
7 >
8 >I restarted firefox...which did not help.
9 >
10 >I did a ping & traceroute to www.youtube.com from
11 >the commandline...same results...
12 >
13 >Wireshark shows the DNS query to my DSL modem...
14 >and the answer was that from above.
15 >
16 >I rebooted my Gentoo box...no help...
17 >
18 >The problem vanishes as I powercycled my DSL modem.
19 >
20 >Any other access was working the whole time.
21 >
22 >Was my DSL modem hacked?
23 >Does anyone else noticed a glithc in the matrix?
24 >
25 >Best regards,
26 >mcc
27
28 Most modems and routers have really bad DNS proxies. I tend to either run my own or use Googles DNS:
29 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
32 Joost
33 --
34 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.