From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] You have no world file
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:03:55
1 Dan Cowsill writes:
2
3 > I've been having a strange issue every so often. I'll do a world update
4 > (emerge -uDNav, etc) and that will proceed nicely, installing new
5 > packages and suchlike. I'll then do a little bit of the old emerge -pcv
6 > to check for dangling packages and I will get the following:
7 >
8 > !!! You have no world file.
9 > !!! Proceeding is likely to break your installation.
10 >
11 > Portage will then politely inform me that it needs to remove 190 packages
12 > and I thank FSM I added -p.
13 >
14 > So! Googling that little tidbit produced nothing meaningful. What's the
15 > story? Gremlins?
16
17 Stupid question maybe, but does /var/lib/portage/world exist? If not, emerge
18 -uDNav world would not complain and do a system update only.
19 Does eix -Iu show lots of packages you thought a wold update should have
20 updated?
21 In case you lost the file, the regenworld script is supposed to restore it.
22 But I don't know how well this works.
23
24 Wonko