From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How long does "Verifying /usr/portage" take?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 22:36:40
1 On Friday, 6 July 2018 21:43:35 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2018-07-06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Now that the public key stuff is working again (knock on wood), I'm
4 > > curious if it's usual for an emerge --sync to take 10-15 minutes
5 > > longer than it used due to the "Verifying /usr/portage" step.
6 > >
7 > > On some systems (with fewer packages installed) it only takes a minute
8 > > or less. But, on my "main" desktop system it takes 10-15 minutes every
9 > > time.
10 >
11 > I cleared out /usr/portage/distfiles, and the verify time dropped to
12 > about 10 seconds. I should probably do that more often...
13
14 This is odd. Why would a verification of portage include the distfiles, when
15 the latter are checked before they are unpacked as a package is being emerged.
16 It doesn't make sense to me. :-/
19 Regards,
20 Mick