From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When copying an os to new disk
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:20:41
1 On 22 February 2010 16:49, daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 20 February 2010 05:34, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm currently rsyncing an OS (new gentoo install) from one vmware disk
4 >> to a newly created one.
5 >
6 > you could dd it too, and then mount the new system and remove stuff in
7 > /proc and /dev you don't want.
8 >
9 > This could avoid any problems of your rsync options.  Then in a chroot
10 > reinstall grub on the partition.
11 >
12 > I never tried this, but to my mind it should work, and it's faster than rsync.
13 >
14 > ~daid
17 Sorry. I should note: It *can* be faster than rsync. If they disk
18 has a ton of white space, then it could very well be much slower. But
19 say for a drive that is mostly at capacity, then dd should easily be a
20 few times faster.
21
22 As a side note, I tried dd piped through ssh and my router (with
23 firewall) was resetting the connection after around 4GB, and I don't
24 know of anyway to resume a dd. There should be ways to ping the ssh
25 to keep the connection alive, but I never tried that.
26
27 But if you really want an exact copy of a system, I think dd could be
28 the way to go. You can always rsync at the end to confirm.
29
30 ~daid